Post Graduate Certificate Program (PGP)
in Business Analytics
Information Seminar on 7th January - Block no. 502, 4:30 PM, NMIMS, Vile Parle West, Mumbai
Post Graduate Certificate Program in Business Analytics - In partnership with University of South Florida (USF)
- The Certificate Program in Business Analytics (CBA Program) is a contemporary 1-year program designed by NMIMS and offered in joint collaboration with University of South Florida (USF) on behalf of its Muma College of Business.
- The Program is intended for participants who want to build their careers in Business Analytics.
The CBA Program is a blend of classroom training (to be conducted in Mumbai) and technology-enabled learning platform.
- The Program provides 380 contact hours for classroom training, one of the highest in the industry for a one-year program.
- The classroom lectures would be held only during weekends (Saturdays and Sundays). The Program structure has been designed to enable working professionals to attend classes during weekends without any work disruptions.
- The CBA Program is carefully crafted by academic and industry professionals to cover the essentials of Analytics, provides practical training on analytical tools, methodologies and technologies to facilitate solving real-world business problems.
- Six modules out of twelve modules would be primarily taught by renowned international faculty from the USF Muma College of Business (MCOB). USF instructors will have twenty (20) contact hours with students while delivering courses, of which sixteen (16) will be face-to-face in Mumbai over a single weekend and four (4) will be via an online webinar. Students will take classes for the remaining twelve (12) hours delivered by NMIMS faculty. Students may be assigned to work on projects for the remaining weeks. The remaining 6 modules would be taught by leading industry professionals and distinguished NMIMS faculty.
- The Program is intended for participants who want
to build their careers in Business Analytics.
- The Program is carefully crafted by distinguished academic
and industry professionals to help participants develop a
though conceptual understanding of the essentials and
advanced topics in Business Analytics.
The Program aims to provide practical training on
contemporary Business Analytical tools, methodologies and
- The Program intends for participants to apply the above
analytics skills-sets to solve real-world business problems.
- Through the industry research project (Capstone), the
program intends participants to handle a real-world business
problem through various tools and methodologies discussed
in the curriculum.
The teaching-learning cycle of this highly interactive Certificate
Program in Business Analytics involves a judicious mix of a wide
range of pedagogical approaches:
- Classroom lectures by international faculty from the
Muma School of Business, University of South Florida
- Classroom lectures by leading industry professionals in
Business Analytics and distinguished faculty from NMIMS
- Case studies
- Industry research project
- Domestic and international exposure to practical
- Developing and implementing business models for
decision-making in Business Analytics
- Frequent interaction with leading industry practitioners and
academicians in Business Analytics
Saturdays and Sundays
9:00 am to 11:00 am,
11:30 am to 1:30 pm,
3:00 pm to 5:00 pm,
5:30pm to 7:30 pm,
To be announced in the class
The Program is designed with meticulous inputs and insights
from leading industry practitioners regarding program curriculum,
case studies, analytical methodologies, data sets, business
problems and analytics projects to align the Program to the industry
A key highlight of the Program is the "Capstone Analytics
Project", fostering solid industry-academia partnership. Through
the Project, students would need to identify a dataset, business
problem and do a comprehensive analysis that results in a detailed
report and presentation made that highlights the findings,
methodology and implications for business.
Module 1 - Introduction to Statistics
- Basic concepts of probability and statistics
- Correlations, Analysis of Variance, Hypothesis Testing
- Maximum likelihood methods and fit statistics
- Statistical Inference
- Introduction to linear models
Module 2 - Database Management
- Relational Models and Database Design
- Transaction Processing
- SQL and extensions
- Database optimization and query processing
- Parallel and Distributed Databases
Module 3 - Business Intelligence* & Visualization
- Basics of Reporting and BI dashboards
- Basics of ETL frameworks
- Data warehousing
- Data Visualization using Spotfire and Tableau
Module 4 Statistical Programming
- Installation and Basics of R
- Vectors and Data Structures in R
- Matrices, Arrays, Lists and Data Frames in R
- Statistical Functions in R
- Data Analytics and Visualization Examples in R
Module 5 - Machine Learning and Analytics*
- Machine Learning Methods for Predictive Analytics
- Decision Tree Induction and Analysis
- Neural Networks
- Nearest Neighbor Algorithms and Clustering
Module 6 - Big Data Analytics*
- Introduction to Big Data
- Big Data Platforms – Hadoop, Spark
- Data Storage and Processing – HDFS, HBase and NoSQL
- Text and stream analytics in Big Data
- Hive, Pig and Hadoop extensions and tools
Module 7 - Marketing & Media Analytics*
- Overview of marketing analytics
- Customer Targeting and Lifetime Value Modeling
- Attribution, Data and Marketing Models
- Social Media Analytics
Module 8 - Statistical Data Mining
- Data Exploration and Data Visualization
- Linear Models
- Non-Linear Models
- Statistical Inference and Predictive Modeling
Module 9 - Analytics for Finance and Accounting
- Overview of Financial & Accounting Data
- Financial Data Analytics
- Forensic Accounting and Fraud Detection
- Analyzing Financial Statements and Quarterly Filings
Module 10 - Optimization*
- Overview of combinatorial optimization
- Linear Programming and Sensitivity Analyses
- Integer Programming
- Business Operations and Optimization Examples
Module 11 - Capstone Analytics Project
- Students will need to identify a dataset, business problem
and do a comprehensive analysis that results in a detailed report and presentation made that highlights the findings,
methodology and implications for business.
Module 12 - Analytics in Business*
- Business Cases in Analytics covering the use of analytics
and data in a variety of industries worldwide
* To be taught by Faculty of USF Muma College of Business
** These could change under extra-ordinary situations
The Admissions Committee would evaluate each applicant on several criteria to ensure that the participants selected for the
programme are well-rounded individuals with sufficient analytical/programming/statistical backgrounds.
Each applicant would have to undergo an interview process to determine the fit, interest and inclination. Besides, an assessment test
would have to be administered for freshers. Each component of the application including the application form, assessment test and
the interview would be adequately reviewed, and the subsequent selection of the participants for the program will be made.