Position- Vice Chancellor, SVKM’s NMIMS University, Mumbai, India (Deemed to be University) (2009 to date)
Phone - (022) 4235-5555
Email - Rajan.Saxena@nmims.edu
1. Brand Placement: New Perspectives and a comprehensive definition, Dr. Rajan Saxena & Dr. Ravi Kandhadai, The Marketing Review, 2014, Vol 14, No.3, pp. 231-244
1. Marketing Management: McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., (an affiliate of McGraw-Hill in India) New Delhi – Fifth Edition published in 2016
2. Marketing Management: McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., (an affiliate of McGraw-Hill in India) New Delhi – Fourth Edition. A comprehensive text on Indian Market, being extensively used in the Marketing courses by faculty and students. Published in 2009 Website: http://www.tatamcgrawhill.com/digital_solutions/saxena
3. International Marketing - Concepts, Techniques and Cases in joint authorship with Dr. M.C. Kapoor of Delhi University published by Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi, 1984
1. Leadership for Institution Building - Sept,2017 - Higher Education Forum
2. Educate in India! - Nov, 2016 FICCI Digest
3. The Changing World and the future of Education – June, 2016 - FICCI
4. Reimagining Management Education – 2016 – Business World
5. Largest and raring to be the best: The tale of growth and excellence in Indian Management school - 2016 - FICCI Global Focus
6. Structuring Technology Applications for Enhanced Customer Experience Evidence from Indian Air Travellers co-authors Hufrish Majra, Sumi Jha and Srinath Jagannathan
7. Global Business Review – April 2016
8. Attitude towards Mobile Payment in India, co-authored with Dr. Mona Sinha and Dr. Rajan Saxena, presented by Dr. Hufrish Majra at International Conference on marketing, technology and society, IIM- Kozhikode, Sept 29-Oct 1, 2016.
9. Indian Higher Education – Opportunities and Transformation – QS Asia Sept 2016
10. Developing Global Reputation of NMIMS – Feb, 2015
11. Transforming Asia: The Education Challenge – Oct 2015, FICCI
12. Globalization of Indian B-Schools – MBA Universe Aug, 2014
13. Indian Management Education: A Way Forward – May, 2014 - AIMA Council of Management
14. Indian Management Education: A Way Forward – May, 2014 - AIMA Council of Management
15. The Imperative of Internationalization of Management Education 2013 Times of India
16. “Strengthen Institutional Autonomy”, Financial Express, Feb 2013.
17. “Quality in Management Education in India”, Multiple Stakeholder Perspectives of Higher Education, Editor R.Natarajan and N.R.Shetty, 2012, Macmillan India pg.70-80.
18. “Leadership and Governance in Higher Education”, Hindustan Times Mint, December, 2012.
1. Natural Ice Cream - 2009
2. Jago Re ! - 2009
3. The Market Makers –ICICI Bank case(2010). Co-authors Dr. Mala Srivastava and Ms.Hufrish Homavazir.
4. Nano – ‘A dream car for the poor’ – Feb 2008
5. Hindustan Lever Limited – October 2001 – Registered with IIM Indore
6. Jet Airways – October 2001 – Registered with IIM Indore
7. Western India Limited – 1996 updated in October 2001 – Registered with IIM Indore
8. Services Standardization – 1998 updated in October 2001 – Registered with IIM Indore
9. ION Exchange ‘A’ – 1996
10. ION Exchange ‘B’ – 1996
11. ION Exchange ‘C’ – 1996
12. Customer – A complainant or an asset? – 1996
13. Hi-Tech Systems Distributors Limited – 1995
14. Market Opportunity for Automotives Gears in India – 1992
15. M/s. Computers India Limited – 1992
16. Automotives Gears in India Limited – 1992
17. Will the Breeze Come Back? - 1990
18. Getting the most from a dealer – 1989
19. Getting to know your Customer – The Case of Steel Manufacturing Co. Ltd. – 1988
20. Indian Electricals Limited – 1988
21. The Case of Narendrajit Suri – 1988
22. Hi-End Audio Products – 1986
23. Hindustan Industries Ltd (A) (Problem in Export of Third Party Products) – 1981
24. Alpha Ltd., (A) – Entering the Saudi Arabian Markets – 1981
1. “Global Competitiveness of Indian Enterprises”, Chartered Secretary, November, 2001
2. “New Age Marketing”, Indian Management, July 2000
3. “Marketing Strategy for the Millennium” Business & Strategy, December 2001 & June 2000
4. “Delighting Customers Discontinuously” Business Today, January 7, 2000
5. “The Local Dynamics of a Global Strategy”, case study in Business Today, October 27, 1998
6. “Driving with the Customer”, Udyog Pragati, (special issue of marketing), September-October, 1998
7. “Relationship Marketing” NMIMS Management Review Vol. VIII, No.1, Jan-Jun 1996
8. “Succession Standoff” Business Today, December 22-January, 1996
9. “Rebuilding Brands” Business Today, December 7-21, 1995
10. “Service Standards” Business Today, September 7-21, 1995
11. “Customer Service for the Global Market Economy” NMIMS Management Review Vol. V No.1, January - June, 1993
12. “Marketing Development and Strategic Consideration in Developing Countries” NMIMS Management Review Vol. IV, No.1, January-June 1992
13. “Can India Win the World?” BMA Review, January-February, 1992
14. “Customer Service: Key to Competitive Advantage”, Economic Times, May 9, 1991
15. “Competitiveness in Indian Industry”—Role of Management Education—NMIMS Management Review, Vol. III, No.1, January-June, 1991
16. “Tobacco Industry: Towards a Smoky Future” Technocrat, July 19 -August 4, 1989
17. “The Importance of Corporate Image”, Business World, July 19 - August 4, 1989
18. “All’s in a name” Economic Times, March 23, 1989
19. “The Emerging Face of Marketing in India”, NMIMS Management Review, Vol. I, No.2 July-December 1987
20. “Marketing of Life Insurance Services”, NMIMS Management Review and Economic Scene, July 1987
21. Hindustan Industries Ltd., “ A” Foreign Trade Review, January-March
22. “Growth of Small Firms: A Study of Direct Marketing Strategy, Indian Management, June 1984. Pp. 23-28
23. Alpha Ltd. “A” - Case in International Marketing, Management and Labour Studies, December 1982
24. “Missing the Target in Exports: A Case of India”, Management and Labour Studies, June 1982
25. “Adaptive Strategies of Multinationals: An Indian Experience” Decision, April-June
26. “Meeting the Challenge of 80’s—An International Marketing Perspective” Foreign Trade Review, January-March 1982
27. “Marketing in 80’s” Indian Journal of Marketing, Vol. XII, No.8, April 1982
28. “Fera Percept and Practice”, Indian Management, Vol. 20, No. 2, February 1981
29. ‘Transnational Firms and Indian Exports—A Case of Engineering Industry in India” Foreign Trade Review, Vol. XV, No.3, October-December, 1980
30. “Role of Foreign Private Investment in India”, Indian Management, Vol. 18, No.11, November 1979
31. “Taming the Multinationals in India”, Journal of World Trade Law, Vol. 13, No.2, March-April, 1979
32. “Export from India and Multinational Firms”, Indian Journal of Marketing, Vol. VIII, No.6, February, 1978
33. “Regulatory Environment in India and Exports by Multinationals”, Review of Commerce Studies, Vol. V & VI, March 1977.
1. Mobile Payment Adoption in India: Role of Attitudes and Risks presented co-authored with Dr. Mona Sinha and Dr. Rajan Saxena , presented by Dr. Mona Sinha in Association of Marketing Theory and Practice 2016 annual meeting ,March 17 – 19, 2016, St. Simons, GA
2. “Banking in India: the Role of Self-Service Technology” in joint authorship at Academy of Marketing Science, World Marketing Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, 2012.
3. Attended GMAC Annual Conference 2011 at Boston from 22nd to 24th June, 2011.
4. “Globalisation of Indian Industry” at the Second AMDISA Academic Conference on “Innovations for Management Development” Kathmandu, Nepal from May 4-6, 1992
5. “Marketing of Commodities and Raw Materials - New Perspectives for Indian Market in 1990’s”, at the International Marketing Congress held at New Delhi in January 1989.
Majra, H., Saxena, R., Jha, S., & Jagannathan, S. (2016). Structuring Technology Applications for Enhanced Customer Experience: Evidence from Indian Air Travellers. Global Business Review, 17(2), 351-374.
1. Saxena, R., Sinha, M., & Majra, H. (2015). "Self-service technologies: building relationships with Indian consumers". In Handbook on Research in Relationship Marketing. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
2. Saxena, R., Sinha, M., & Majra, H. (2015). Banking in India: Role of Self-Service Technologies. In Thriving in a New World Economy (pp. 186-189). Springer International Publishing.
1. Invited by Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition, Mumbai as Chief Guest and deliver the Valedictory Address at the ‘Valedictory-cum-Awards’ function which was scheduled on 4th April, 2013.
2. Invited by St. Francis Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai as Chief Guest for the Graduation Ceremony on 6th April, 2013.
3. Invited to Chair Session on ‘Promoting Entrepreneurial Innovation at the 42nd International Federation of Training and Development (IFTDO), Delhi on 25th April, 2013.
4. Invited by Zee Group for DNA Eduscope 2013 education fair as Guest of Honour on June 8, 2013 at Nehru Centre, Worli.
5. FICCI in partnership with Government of India, MHRD and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA had organized a Higher Education Leadership program at Urbana-Champaign campus from June 15 to 21, 2013. Lead the delegation and represented India’s Higher Education sector.
6. Invited as Guest of Honor at the Grand Finale Best Summer Project for students of Indian B-Schools organized by IMCI, Mumbai on 28th September, 2013.
7. Invited by the Graduate Management Admission Council to join the 2014 Leadership Conference at Florida, USA from Jan 21 to Jan 24, 2014.
8. “Challenges for delivery of Executive Education: A view from emerging and developing markets” & “Entrepreneurship & Innovation: Creating the Future” at AACSB’s Asia Pacific Annual Conference, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, 2012.
9. “Indian demography: The Education Challenge and NMIMS Strategy” at India-UK Skills and Training Partnership Conference hosted by Indian High Commission in London, UK, 2012
10. “Globalization in Higher Education” at Mauritius Knowledge Network Forum, Mauritius, 2012.
1. Attitude towards Mobile Payment in India, co-authored with Dr. Mona Sinha and Dr. Rajan Saxena , presented by Dr. Hufrish Majra at International Conference on marketing, technology and society, IIM- Kozhikode, Sept 29-Oct 1, 2016.
2. Paper titled Institutional Excellence Beyond Traditional Metrics of Quality written jointly by Dr. Gurumurthy Kalyanaram, Dean, Research, NMIMS at Nirma Institute of Management at Ahmedabad (May 24-25, 2012)
3. Institutional Excellence Beyond Traditional Metrics of Quality (joint author) at Nirma Institute of Management at Ahmedabad (May 24-2, 2013).
1. Invited to be a speaker at SAS Forum India 2016 by SAS Institute (India) Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai on 13th April, 2016.
2. Invited to deliver the address at 12th FICCI Higher Education Summit 2016 on 10th & 11th November 2016 at Delhi.
3. Invited by QS Apple to deliver the Keynote Address at the 12th QS-Apple Annual Conference from 22nd to 24th November, 2016 at Malaysia.
4. Invited by GMAC to address the NMAT Meeting on “The need for Indian Business Schools to accept best practices in admission processes” on 14th December, 2016 at Delhi.
5. Invited to be Guest of Honour at 6th Annual Greentech HR Conference on 6th May, 2016.
6. Invited to Chair the jury for the AIMA - Kewal Nohria Award for Academic Leadership in Management Education on 9th September, 2016 at Delhi.
7. Invited by Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida as Guest of Honour at an International Conference on `The Management Practices in the New Economy’ on 10th February 2017.
8. Invited by Maharashtra College, Mumbai to be the Chief Guest at Multidisciplinary International Conference on Internet of Things – World Scenario International Conference on 22nd February,2017
9. Invited as a speaker at the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) and the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), UK jointly organized a two day workshop on “Newton Bhabha Innovation Workshop: Industry- Academia Engagement” on 12th & 13th of May, 2015, at the Hotel Taj Mahal, New Delhi.
10. MBA Universe had hosted Indian Management Conclave(IMC) at Hyderabad on 29th & 30th July. Dr.Saxena was invited to Chair Plenary Session on “Making Industry-Institute partnerships work: Lessons from Successful collaborations” on 29th July at Hyderabad.
11. Addressed the Valedictory Session at Higher Education Forum at the Annual Convention in Mumbai on 14th March,2015.
12. AIMA in collaboration with NMIMS and AMU organized it’s 9th National Research Conference on the theme “The Future of Management Education in India” which was scheduled from 31st March 2015 – 1st April 2015 at India International Centre, New Delhi where Dr.Saxena delivered key note address and Chaired the Plenary session.
13. Invited to be the Chief Guest at the Convocation of K.J.Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research on 11th April,2015.
14. Invited as a speaker at the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) and the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), UK jointly organized a two day workshop on “Newton Bhabha Innovation Workshop: Industry- Academia Engagement” on 12th & 13th of May, 2015, at the Hotel Taj Mahal, New Delhi.
15. Invited by Pearson Vue to be one of the panelist for a session on “Assessing Talent and Job Readiness for India’s Professionals” on 23rd July,2015 at Delhi.
16. Invited by the Australian High Commissioner to moderate a policy dialogue on Australia India Education Policy proposal on Monday, 24th August 2015 at Delhi.
17. Invited by GMAC to attend the Board Meeting and International Deans Forum at Fudan University School of Management at Shanghai on 15th September, 2015.
18. Invited by Boston University to attend International Advisory Board (IAB) on 11th October at Monte Carlo.
19. Invited by FICCI to be Moderator on the panel discussion on 3rd November on the theme Role of Networks in Promoting Partnerships & Quality is Asia. Also took a Parallel Session II: FICCI Vision on Higher Education to Indian States with special focus to North Eastern States on 4th November at Delhi.
20. Invited to be a Distinguished Speaker for the 1st Doctoral Consortium organized by S J Mehta School of Management at the IIT Bombay Powai Campus on 1st December,2015.
21. Invited as a panel member for assessing the entries for Indian Merchants’ Chamber Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality Award and IMC Juran Quality Award 2015 on 22nd January,2016
22. Chaired the session at World Education Congress held on 28th June, 2014 at Taj Lands End, Mumbai
23. Invited to be the Chief Guest at the Convocation of SASMIRA’s Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai held on 23rd July, 2014.
24. Attended Fourth Annual VC’s Retreat in Delhi on 19th September organized by EDU 9.9 Media
25. Invited by UGC Review Committee to be an expert on 26th December, 2014 at Delhi. The Committee reviewed functioning of UGC and to listened to all stakeholders.
26. Invited by AIMA, Delhi to Chair the Task Force on Issues and Challenges for Management Education in India on 1st August, 2014.
27. Invited to chair the session on Improving Core Product: Revisiting the Program Architecture at the 4th Indian Management Conclave 2013 organised by MBA Universe, Delhi on 2nd & 3rd August, 2013.
28. Invited as one of the panelist to share his views on the theme “Demographic Dividend or Drag” at The HR Summit 2013 organised by Confederation of Indian Industry, Mumbai on 1st October, 2013.
29. Attended FICCI Curriculum Development Workshop in Engineering on – As lead resource person talking on “Environment - 21st Century of implications for curriculum design” on 12th November, 2013 at New Delhi.
30. Special address at FICCI Higher Education Summit 2013 at Delhi and was also one of the panelist on the theme “Governance Framework in Higher Education Towards Vision 2030” on 13th November, 2013 at New Delhi
31. Attended VICE CHANCELLORS AND POLICY MAKERS CONFERENCE and made a presentation on “Developing English language skills to enhance graduates employability” at Cambridge English Language Assessments, Chennai on 27th November, 2013.
32. Invited as panelist at National Convention 2014 organized by Indo-Canadian Business Chamber, Mumbai on 1st March, 2014.
33. Invited as panelist at the Tata Management Training Centre, Pune organized by MBA Universe.Com - Western Round Table on March 28, 2014.
34. Invited as a plenary speaker in the EFMD Conference of Directors and Director Generals of Business Schools, China at CEIBS (China Europe International Business School) from 20th to 22nd June, 2010 on the topic Internationalization Trends of Education in Europe, North America and Asia
35. Invited as a key speaker at the MBA.Universe.com Indian Management Conclave 2010 on August 13, 2010. His topic was Management Education in India: The Way Forward.
36. Invited as a distinguished panelist in the Panel Discussion on “Fostering Diversity and Differentiation in Indian Higher Education: Looking at the Institutional Arrangement for Governance” at FICCI Higher Education Summit on 11th November, 2010 at Federation House, New Delhi.
37. Institute of Directors invited him to be a Keynote Speaker on 29th January, 2011 at 21stWorld Congress on Leading 360º Transformation & Presentation of Golden Peacock Awards at Hotel Leela Kempinski, Mumbai. His topic was Educating India – The Quality Challenge
38. Delivered Keynote address at NBA Workshop on Assurance & Relevance of Quality in Professional Education on 11th February, 2011 at NITIE. His session was on Quality and its Relevance For Enhancing Employability.
39. Delivered Keynote address at the Australian Education Excellence Showcase 2011 on 21st February, 2011 at J.W.Mariott organized by Australian Trade Commission Addressed the members of Zydus NYCOMED on 4th December, 2009 at their Annual Day Celebration.
40. Invited to address the Seminar at Bombay Chamber of Commerce and Industry who had organized a Symposium on Industry Institute Collaborative Approach at Indian Merchant Chamber on 13th November, 2009.
41. Delivered a valedictory address to the delegates at the 9th Global Conference on Flexible Systems Management at National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) on 14th November, 2009.
42. Customer complaint Management in difficult times at BMA – Marketing 20:20 Convention on March 6, 2009.
43. Managing in Turbulent Times: Innovation Challenge in Higher Education at IMCI, Bombay Chapter for 16th Annual National Convention on 30th January, 2009.
44. “The Market Orientation” at Jaipuria Institute of Management, Lucknow for National Conference on Interdependence, Integration and Co-creation on November 29, 2008.
45. “Teacher Education: Global Challenges in the 21st Century” at Council ForTeacher Education XV Annual Conference on 30th September, 2001
46. “Job of CEO: Institution Building” at the Top Management Seminar conducted jointly by Indore Management Association and CII, Malwa Zone on 8th March, 2001
47. “Global Competitiveness of Indian Enterprises” Foundation Day Lecture at the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal on 17th November, 2000
48. “Resins Today and Tomorrow” at the Annual Seminar of Indian Resins Manufacturers Association held in Mumbai on 29th September, 2000.
49. “Harnessing Technological Changes - Implementation for Organizational Growth” at Indian Society for Training & Development (ISTD)
50. National Conference held on November 1998 at Udaipur.
Handled consultancy assignments for leading Indian and Multinational firms and educational institutions in India and outside in the following areas: