Dr. Ramesh Bhat
Provost, Management Education and Dean, School of Business Management
Scopus: Citations 309 of 19 papers published in the Scopus database
Google Scholar: Citations 1390, h-index 19, i10-index 26
Research Gate: Citations 879, Research Papers/Reports 128, Reads 12908
Academic and Professional Qualification
• Takemi Fellow in International Health 1990-91
• Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, USA
• Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) 1988
• Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi
• Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) 1984
• Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi (Grade "A" major in Finance)
• Master of Commerce (M. Com.) 1979
• Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi (Grade "A" major in Finance)
Honors and Awards
• Chairman of the session on Development of National Strategic Plan Towards Ending the
• TB in India 2017-2023
• Chairman Conference on Risk Management and Corporate Insurance organized by Confederation of India Industries (CII), Gujarat, 8 September 2007
• Guest Editor - Special Issue on Health Care Financing, The Journal of Health Management, Indian Institute of Health Management and Research, Jaipur, India.
• Temporary Advisor to World Health Organisation on several occasions
• Actively involved in developing the health financing options in Gujarat. Explored options of insurance and voucher schemes. Extensive background work done for the ongoing Chiranjeevi Yojana in Gujarat
• Lead Member of Mental Health Mission, Government of Gujarat. The Mission prepared a strategic document for mental health sector development in Gujarat and was involved in formulating the Mental Healthcare Policy
• Advisor to the Task Force constituted by the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of West Bengal
Member of Editorial Board
- Health Policy and Planning (1999-2003)
- Journal of Insurance and Risk Management
- Journal of Health and Population in Developing Countries and
- Journal of Health Management
- Management Accounting and Control (Financial Accounting)
- Finance I (working capital finance and financial markets)
- Finance II (corporate finance and investment decisions)
- Venturing in Health Care
- Health Insurance
- Private Equity and Venture Finance
- Strategic Financial Management
- Life and Health Insurance
- Investment and Portfolio Management
Teaching and pedagogical Innovations
- Health Financing Advisor, Full-time Consulting Position, Abt Associates Private Ltd (July 2016 – August 2017)
- Executive Chairman and Co-Founder, WOne Management Systems Pvt Ltd. A Management Consulting Firm (2009 – 2014)
- Dean, School of Business Management, NMIMS University, Mumbai (April 2008 – March 2009)
- Professor (1993 - 2009), Associate Professor (1989-93); Assistant Professor (1986-89), Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (1986 – 2009)
- Full-time Advisor – Strategies to Strengthen Health Sector in Gujarat (2002-03), Royal Netherlands Embassy Development Cooperation Office, New Delhi
- Adjunct Professor, School of Public Health (1995 - 1999), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA (IIHMR Jaipur, India Programme)
- Health Sector Group, Department for International Development (DFID), India,
- Full-time Advisor, Health Policy and Management (1997– 1999)
- Assistant Director, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi: 1985-86
- Faculty Member, Shri Ram College of Commerce, and Ramjas College, University of Delhi, Delhi: 1979-1985
- Corporate Finance,
- Health Finance and Policy
- Private Equity Finance Venturing in Health Care
- Bhat, Ramesh (2017) Navigating Health Financing and Insurance Options for Urban Poor in India. Bethesda, MD: Health Finance & Governance Project, Abt Associates Inc. August 2017.
- Ramesh Bhat and Denny John (2017). Price-cap is after all just a new price: the case of cardiac stents in India. ORF Issue Brief, Issue Number 175, April 2017. • Ramesh Bhat (2017) National Health Policy 2017: Through the Accountability Lens. Indian Institute of Management Udaipur Research Paper Series (accepted for publication in Economic and Political Weekly)
- Denny Johna, Prabir Chatterjee, Shruti Murthy, Ramesh Bhat, Baba Mayaki Musae (2017) Cost effectiveness of home-based care model for managing MDR-TB in India. Accepted for publication in Indian Journal of Tuberculosis, Elsevier's online submission system, EVISE®
- Ramesh Bhat and Sudhakar, K (2017). Donor Funding to Domestic Budgetary Support Transition of National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) in India (2017). Indian Institute of Management Udaipur Research Paper Series No. 2012-2171274.
- Ramesh Bhat, Lysander Menezes and Carlos Avila (2017) Community/Mutual Health Insurance Programme: A Case Study of Annapurna Pariwar, Maharashtra. Bethesda, MD: Health Finance & Governance Project, Abt Associates Inc. August 2017.
- Ramesh Bhat, Lysander Menezes and Carlos Avila (2017) Review of Community/Mutual Based Health Insurance and their Role in Strengthening the Financial Protection System in India. Bethesda, MD: Health Finance & Governance Project, Abt Associates Inc. August 2017.
- Kriti Khurana, Ramesh Bhat, Rikin Gandhi and Peggy Koniz-Booher (2015) Cost analysis of nutrition messaging intervention through community-led videos in Odisha. Seventh International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD 2015) hosted at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, May 15-18, 2015.
- Arni S. R. Srinivasa Rao, Kurien Thomas, Sudhakar Kurapati, Ramesh Bhat (2012) Improvement in survival of people living with HIV/AIDS and requirement for 1st- and 2nd-line ART, Notices American Mathematical Society 59.
Pandey I M and Bhat Ramesh (2012). Cases in Financial Management (3/ed) McGraw Hill
Education India. Instructor's Manual to Cases in Financial Management, McGraw Hill Education India (co-authored with I.M. Pandey).
Takemi Fellow in International Health
Consulting and Research Report
- South-to-South HIV/AIDS Resource Exchange Project, USAID 2014-15
- Financial Planning for NACP IV, Report submitted to the Department of AIDS Control, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, September 2013.
- Comparative Analysis of Different Interventions to Improve Safe Injection Practices, Report submitted to the NRHM, Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Kerala, May 2013.
- Human Resource Management Practices, Institutional Environment and Performance in India’s Public Health Sector, Report submitted to the World Bank and Centre for Good Governance, February 2013 (co-authored with Sunil Maheshwari)
- Mental Health Budget Analysis, Report submitted to the Centre for Advocacy in Mental Health (CAMH), Pune, and Centre for Budget and Governance Accountability (CBGA), Delhi, 2012.
- Study of Institutional Structure, Processes and Culture for Attracting and Retaining Professionals and Performance Excellence, Report submitted to U. N. Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre, Ahmedabad, 2013.
- Study on Vaccine Wastage Impact, Report submitted to Becton Dickinson, April 2012.
- Cost Effectiveness of Voucher Scheme for Reproductive Healthcare in Uttarakhand, Report submitted to Futures Group International India and USAID, April 2012.
- Strengthening the Health Department of Provincial Government of South Africa, Report submitted to Government of Free State, South Africa, May 2012.