Phone - (022) 4235-5816
Academic and Professional Qualification
- Ph.D., University of Mumbai, 2001.
Dissertation Title: Economic Growth and Human Development : A Study of Maharashtra
- MA, University of Mumbai, 1983.
- BA, University of Mumbai, 1981.
Major: Economics & Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Best Teacher in General Management, 19th Dewang Mehta Business School Award. (2011).
- Attended Global Colloquium on Participant–Centered Learning 2012 at Harvard Business School, Boston, USA and at Harvard Business Centre, Shanghai in 2013.
Member, State Resource Centre for Women, Government of Maharashtra (2013 - Present).
Member, Indian Academy of Social Science
Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Globalization and the Indian Economy, Emerging
Market Economies, Economics of Infrastructure Development & Management.
Teaching Experience - 22 years
Teaching and Pedagogical Innovations
- Introduced two new courses: Emerging Market Economies and Infrastructure Development and Management which are case-based and participant centric.
- Teaching compulsory courses in economics with application to policy involving reading articles from newspapers and reputed journals in Economics.
- Government of Maharashtra : Member, Committee on Alternative Approaches to Balanced Regional Development, Government of Maharashtra, under the chairmanship of Shri Vijay Kelkar, Chairman of the 13th Finance Commission, Government of India. The commission recommended measures to achieve balanced regional growth and improve the human development index. (2011-13).
- Government of Maharashtra, Independent Expert on Bid Evaluation Committee of the MSEDCL (Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited), for procurement of 2000 MW of power, (2010).
Service to the University
Service to the School
- Committee Member, Ph.D. & Research. (2010 - Present).
- Committee Chair, Economics Area. (2006 - Present).
- Member, School of Business Management Advisory Committee, NMIMS Management Review
Economic Growth and Human Development : A Study of Maharashtra
Development Economics, Infrastructure development and management.
- Economic Growth and Human Development: A Study of Maharashtra, Publication grant by ICSSR, New Delhi, Himalaya Publishers, Mumbai, 2007.
- Microfinance, Self-Employment and Poverty Alleviation, Edited by Sangita Kamdar, Department of Economics, University of Mumbai, Publication grant by NABARD. Himalaya Publishers, Mumbai, 2007.
- Health Care in India: A Profile, jointly with Devraj Chauhan and N.H. Antia, The Foundation for Research in Community Health, Mumbai, 1997.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Kamdar, S. (2015). The Franchisee Model in Electricity Distribution: A case study of Torrent Power Limited in Bhiwandi, Maharashtra. NMIMS Management Review.
- Socioeconomic impact of employment generation program on poor urban women’, MERCGlobal’s International Journal of Management, Vol 1(1), July 2013,pp15-35. (2013) available at: http://www.mercglobal.org/ijm-vol1-issue1-july2013.html.
- ‘Quality of Life in Mumbai’, Urban India, National Institute of Urban Affairs, Vol. 30 (2), July-December 2010, pp. 42-65. (2010)
- Human Development in India, Research Monograph No. 18, SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies University, March (2007).
- Microcredit in a Poor Urban Habitat in Mumbai: An Impact Study, Research Monograph No. 17, SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies University, November (2006).
Kamdar, S., "Socio-economic impact of employment generation program on poor women – a study of Mumbai," Sponsored by NMIMS, Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies. (2013).
- Removing Regional Imbalances in Education as part of the Study on Strategy Development of Social Sectors as a Means of Human Centric Regional Development in Maharashtra, Sponsored by The High level Committee on Balanced Regional Development appointed by the Government of Maharashtra under the Chairmanship of Dr.Vijay Kelkar, Chairman of the 13th Finance Commission, GoI, State. (2012).
- Impact of Productive Loans in a Poor Urban Habitat: An Impact Study, Sponsored by Uplift India Association, Inter Aide (European association), (2005).
- Grants-in-Aid in Secondary Education: The Case of Maharashtra, Sponsored by National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA), (2002).