Prof. Santana Pathak is an Assistant Professor in Communication Area at the School of Business Management (SBM), Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS) in the flagship Mumbai campus. Her academic work experience spans across premier management institutes in the country including her stint at Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management (AIIM), Ahmedabad, Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA), Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi (IIFT) and Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A). Her industry experience comes from working as an Assistant Editor with The Times of India leading a city desk, and with engagement in brand building exercises on behalf of the Bennett and Coleman group.
Santana Pathak has successfully worked as programme chairperson of management and faculty development programmes at the institutes she has served, specifically related to cross-cultural and persuasive presentation skills in the context of business and entrepreneurship ventures. She has participated in numerous national and international conferences, is a member of the British Academy of Management (BAM) and has publications in journals including Media Watch Global and Journal of Enterprising Communities (JOEC). She is also a published author with Random House India.
She has submitted her thesis towards Doctor in Philosophy (Ph.D.) from the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi (IIFT) in the area of culture and communication. A diploma holder in Journalism from Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan, New Delhi, a NET-qualifier and an MA in English, her areas of interest are culture and communication, persuasion and negotiation, and spoken and written communication.
Prof Pathak is a member of the Communication Area at School of Business Management (SBM), NMIMS. She teaches courses like
- Managerial Communication (Oral)
- Written Communication
- Written Analysis and Communication (WAC)
- Persuasive Communication (Elective)
Expertise and Research Interest
No. of citations – (Scopus, Google Scholar and Research Gate) : 4
ORCID number- 0000-0002-8906-9041
(last five/six years)
- Pathak, S and Mukherjee, S. (2020). Entrepreneurial Ecosystem and Social Entrepreneurship: Case studies of community-based craft from Kutch, India, Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy.
- Tewari, R. & Pathak, S. (2015). Impact of Social Media on the Vanity Level of Youngsters in India in Media Watch, Vol. 6, No 3, September, pp. 309-317
Conferences and Workshops
(last five/six years)
- British Academy of Management Annual Conference (BAM, Conference in the Cloud), September 2020: Women-owned micro enterprises & role of NPDAs: Case studies from India with Mukherjee, S. (Conference Proceedings)
- British Academy of Management Annual Conference (BAM, 2019): Globalization and National Cultural values: Are Indian Youngsters More Global than Indian? By Pathak, S. (Conference Proceedings)
- International Association of Media and Communications Research (IAMCR, 2018): Three-phase Model of Communicating Bad News in Healthcare Sector in India: An Empirical Study with Tewari, Ruchi (Conference Proceedings)
- International Association of Media and Communications Research (IAMCR, 2018): Old and the young in India and challenges of multinational advertising: A qualitative study. By Pathak, S. (Conference Proceedings)
- Applied Communication Consultant at Gala Infrastructure Ltd, August, 2013 onwards and Savvy Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd since April, 2013 onwards till 2017
- Cyberoam Technology Pvt. Limited and Elitecore Technologies Pvt. Ltd for a period of two years, 2013 onwards.
- Worked as researcher in Cultural Heritage and Management Venture Lab and did diagnostic study reports on craft clusters in Ahmedabad as part of a project funded by the European Union (EU).
Contribution to Community
- Been part of a faculty mentor team training students on Heritage Management of the Kutch region as part of Centre for Heritage Management, Ahmedabad University
- Ran a campaign as part of The Times of India, Ahmedabad editorial team towards Ahemdabad as a World Heritage City with education institutes like Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A), Mudra Institute of Communication (MICA), Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT) and National Institute of Design (NID).
- Actively participates as faculty mentor in WeCare Internship at SBM.