Smita Mazumdar is Programme Chairperson (MBA) and Associate Professor in the area of Finance with the School of Business Management, NMIMS, Mumbai, India. She holds a Doctorate in Management from NMIMS University and is a Fellow of the Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of India.
She is a Certified Financial Planner and has completed a Masters in Business Administration from Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune. During her early career, she has worked in the Financial Services and Computer education sector for about 6 years and also experimented briefly with an entrepreneurial venture into financial intermediation. She has been into academics since 2002 and has been associated with NMIMS since 2009. She has presented her research in national and international conferences and has publications in reputed Scopus indexed and ABDC ranked journals.
- Strategic Cost Management
- Financial Accounting
- Management Accounting
- Financial Statement analysis
- Value Risk and Capital Markets
- Corporate Finance
Expertise and Research Interest
ORCID number: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2119-0566
Scopus Id: 56797638500
Research gate: Citations - 5
Google Scholar: Citations -15; h-index - 3
Research interests: Corporate Governance; Earnings Management; Corporate Financial restructuring, Performance Management.
- Bhatia, S., Choudhary, S., Dugar, A., Mazumdar, S. (2019). Stock Pledging and Earnings Management: An Empirical Analysis. Asian Review of Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing Ltd., ABDC "B", Scopus, UGC, Web of Science, 27(3), 350-372. https://doi.org/10.1108/ARA-03-2018-0074
- Mazumdar, S., Rastogi, A. (in press). Financial restructuring of firms under weak bankruptcy laws – an Indian experience. Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Publishers Ltd, ABDC "C", Scopus, UGC, Google Scholar,Cabell's.
- Rastogi, A., Mazumdar, S. (2017). Corporate Debt Restructuring (CDR) and its Impact on Firms' Stock Market Performance: A Study of Pre- and Post- CDR Share-Proce Movements. South Asian Journal of Management, Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA), 23(3), 7-26.
- Rastogi, A., Mazumdar, S. (2017). Long run impact of Financial Restructuring on Capital Structure. Afro-Asian J. of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Publishers Ltd., 7(2), 107-129.
- Mazumdar, S. (2017). Evolution of NPA Management in Indian banking sector. The Management Accountant, 52(1), 16-20. http://icmai.in/upload/Institute/Journal/Jan-2017.pdf
- Rastogi, A., Mazumdar, S. (2015). Announcement effect of admission to CDR. NMIMS Working Paper Series., http://www.nmimssbm.org/faculty-and-research/working-papers/
- Kamat, V., Mazumdar, S. (2015). The Dilemma at Wockhardt Ltd - A & B. The Case Centre. E-823, School of Business Management, NMIMS, V L Mehta road, Vile Parle (w)
- Sanyal, D., Mazumdar, S. (2014). Valjibhai Stones. Ontorio: Ivey Publishing.
- Mazumdar, S. (2014). Study of Individual Investment Behaviour with respect to Financial Knowledge and Investment Risk Preference. International Journal of Management Research and Business strategy. 726, 7th floor, UPG bldg, V L Mehta road, Vile Parle (w)
- Krishnamoorthy, B., Mazumdar, S., Mohanty, C. (2013). Growth of Future Group Logistics–Indian retail Company. Competitiveness Review. Journal of Global Competitiveness, Emerald Publishing, XXIII(4/5), 330-342.
- Mazumdar, S., Krishnamoorthy, B., Mohanty, C. (2011). Future Group- Sourcing and Logistics. In Building Competencies for Sustainability and Organizational Excellence. Macmillan publishers.
Conferences and Workshops
(last five/six years)
- Mazumdar, S. (Author), Ramakrishna, S. (Author & Presenter), Ray, S. (Author), 2nd AICAR Conference (Aston India Centre of Applied Research), "Corporate Governance and Cash holdings –Evidence from India," Aston Business School, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (August 31, 2018).
- Rastogi, A., Mazumdar, S., India Finance Conference 2015, "Announcement effect of admission to corporate debt restructuring," IIM Calcutta, Kolkata. (December 19, 2015).
- Mazumdar, S. (Author & Presenter), Rastogi, A. (Author), Global Conference on Managing in recovering markets, "Capital Structure of companies referred to CDR in India," MDI, Gurgaon. (March 7, 2014).
- Krishnamoorthy, B., Mazumdar, S., Mohanty, C., International Conference of Management Cases, "Future Group- Sourcing and Logistics," New Delhi. (2011).
- Involved in Management Development Programs for corporates like Asian Paints, Borosil, L&T, Apotex, VFS Global, Edelwise, OCS and others Long Duration Executive Programs of CRISIL and ICICI Bank
Currently working on the following:
- Corporate Governance and Cash holding
- CSR and firm performance
Contribution to Community
Service to the University
- Member, Academic Council, NMIMS
- Member of the Board of Studies of the B Com (Accounting & Finance) program of Narsee Monjee College of Commerce
- Member, Board of Studies of the B Com(Hons) program of Mithibai college of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science & Amrutben Jivanlal Institute of Commerce and Economics.
Service to the School
- Program Chairperson – MBA (2017 till date)
- Member, Career Advisory Committee
- Member, Assurance of Learning Committee
- Member, Anti Ragging Committee
- Member, Students’ Disciplinary Committee
- Secretary Faculty Council (2016-17)
- Best Faculty Award 2019, School of Business Management. (April 13, 2019).
- ITM Silver Jubillee award for Outstanding contribution to Teaching & Education- Young Management Teacher, Higher Education Forum. (September 5, 2015).