Professor & Associate Dean
- Ph.D. Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India, 2005
- M.Phil (Economics), Jadavpur University, West Bengal, India, 1998
- M.SC. Calcutta University, India, 1995
- B.SC. Calcutta University, India, 1993
A Ph. D in Economics from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, Chandrima Sikdar has twenty-three years of experience as a faculty in the area of Economics. She has worked with reputed institutes, like BES College, Calcutta University, ICFAI Business School and Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi. She joined SBM in January 2012 as a faculty member in the area of Economics. Alongside teaching, she is an active researcher. She is an expert in trade and econometric modelling and have been working on international trade, environment and productivity issues since 1997. Dr. Sikdar extensively researched on India-Bangladesh, India-Sri Lanka, India-ASEAN trade dynamics and published number of articles on it and on other areas like environment, productivity etc. She attended and presented papers in a number of international & national conferences related to econometric modelling, input-output modelling, GTAP, CGE modelling etc. She completed several studies on behalf of Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of India and for United Nations Asia- Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT).
- International Economics
Expertise and Research Interest
International Trade, Input Output Analysis, General Equilibrium Modelling, Econometric Modelling, Productivity, Innovation, R&D, Economic Integration, Environment.
No. of citations:
Google Scholar – 133
Research Gate – 52
Scopus h-index - 3
ORCID id - https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9853-3600
- Sangeeta Wats, Chandrima Sikdar, (2021-22), Dynamics in Futures and Spot Markets- A Panel Study of Advanced and Emerging Economies of Asia, Investment Management and Financial Innovation, Business Perspectives Ltd, Volume No.19, Issue 1,pp 64-76, ISSN No. 1810-4967 (p) 1812-9358 (o), ABDC "B", Scopus, http://dx.doi.org/10.21511/imfi.19(1).2022.05
- Impact of India ASEAN FTA on employment in Indian manufacturing sector, International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience, forthcoming issue, 2020. [Co-author: Biswajit Nag, IIFT, New Delhi, India].
- Technology Transfer and Productivity Growth- Evidence from Indian Manufacturing Industries. The Journal of Developing Areas, Vol 54, No.4, Fall 2020. [Co-author: Kakali Mukhopadhyay, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India and McGill University, Montreal, Canada].
- Assessment of R&D and its impact on Indian manufacturing industries. Int. J. Computational Economics and Econometrics, Inderscience, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2018. [Co-author: Kakali Mukhopadhyay, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India and McGill University, Montreal, Canada].
- Impact of Sri Lanka's Free Trade Agreement with China on India - International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2017.
- The nexus between carbon emission, energy consumption, economic growth and changing economic structure in India: a multivariate cointegration approach. The Journal of Developing Area, 52(3), pp: 67-83, 2017. [Co-author: Kakali Mukhopadhyay, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India and McGill University, Montreal, Canada].
- Economy-wide impact of TPP: new challenges to China. Journal of Economic Structures, Springer Open Access (2017) 6:22, 2017. [Co-author: Kakali Mukhopadhyay, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India and McGill University, Montreal, Canada].
- India’s bilateral trade with south Asian partners – current trend and future potential. Foreign Policy Research Centre, New Delhi, India, Area Studies, 2017.
- Impact of population on carbon emission: Lessons from India. United Nation’s ESCAP Asia Pacific Development Journal, 23(1), pp: 105-132, 2016. [Co-author: Kakali Mukhopadhyay, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India and McGill University, Montreal, Canada].
- Productivity and R&D content of intermediate inputs – evidence from Indian industries. Journal of Developing Areas, 30 (3). pp:337-356, 2016. [Co-author: Kakali Mukhopadhyay, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India and McGill University, Montreal, Canada].
- A study of the Mentees' Perspective of the Informal Mentors' characteristics essential for mentoring success. Global Business Review, 16(6), pp: 963-980, December 2015. [Co-author: Gowri Joshi, SBM, NMIMS University, Mumbai, India].
- Global Production Sharing and Leontif Paradox: Evidence from Trade between two Developing Countries in South Asia. Arthavijnan, LVI (1), pp: 17-38, March 2014.
- India-Bangladesh trade: current state, challenges and the way forward. Foreign Policy Research Centre Journal, New Delhi, November, 2013
- Impact of India-ASEAN Free Trade Agreement: A cross-country analysis using applied general equilibrium modeling. Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade Working Paper Series, No 107, November 2011. [Co-author: Biswajit Nag, IIFT, New Delhi, India].
- Welfare Implications of India-ASEAN FTA: An Analysis using GTAP Model. Indian Institute of Foreign Trade Working paper EC-11-06, July 2011. [Co-author: Biswajit Nag, IIFT, New Delhi, India].
- ASEAN-India Development and Cooperation Report 2015 (AIDCR), Research and Information System for Developing Countries, New Delhi, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, published in June 2015. Was one of the contributors to this report.
- Use of Computable General Equilibrium Model in Trade Research: An Application of GTAP Model on India–ASEAN Trade. Biswajit Nag and Debashis Chakraborty (Ed), India's Trade Analytics: Pattern and Opportunities, Sage publications, March 2019.
- Global Value Chain and Effects of Trade Policy Instruments—A Case of India. Kakali Mukhopadhyay (Ed.), Applications of the Input-Output Framework, Springer, Singapore,2018.
- Will India Gain from India-ASEAN FTA? Celebrating the Third Analysis of Simulated Scenarios based on Phased Implementation. Prabir De, Suthiphand Chirathivat (Ed.), Celebrating the Third Decade and Beyond: New Challenges to ASEAN-India Economic Partnership’, Routledge, 2018.
- Än investigation into the Perceptions of Mentors and Mentees Regarding Mentor Characteristics Essential for Traditional Mentorship Success. Umesh K. Bamel, Atri Sengupta and Pankaj Singh (Ed.), Ëmerging Challenges in HR VUCA Perspectives. Emerald India, New Delhi, 2016.
- Analysis of Impact of India-SriLanka Bilateral Trade liberalization using CGE modelling. V.V.N Somayajulu & B. Nagarjuna (Ed.), Indian Economy during Reforms of Third World. Himalaya Publishing House, January 2015.
Conferences and Workshops
- Technology import – did it promote productivity in Indian manufacturing firms? This paper has been presented at the 11th Conference on Micro Evidence on Innovation and Development (MEIDE), organized by United Nations University, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, October 9, 2019.
- Technology Transfer and productivity growth-evidence from Indian manufacturing industries. This paper has been presented at the 25th International Input-Output Conference & 7th Edition of the International School of I-O Analysis, 19-23 June 2017, Atlanta City, New Jersey, USA.
- India’s growth prospects - Identifying the Drivers, Constraints and Policy Directions. This paper has been presented at the 2nd Edition of NMIMS Business School – Industry Interaction Conference: Business Excellence in Digital Economy, February 22- 23, 2017, Mumbai, India.
- Global Value Chain and effects of trade policy instrument- a case of India. This paper has been presented at the 19th National Conference of Input Output Regional Association, jointly organized by the Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics and University of Mumbai, January 11-12, 2017, Pune, India.
- Economy wide impact of TPP: New Challenges to China. This paper has been presented at the 24th International Input-Output Conference & 6th Edition of the International School of I-O Analysis, 4-8 July 2016, Korea, Seoul.
- The Linkages between Real and Financial Sectors in the Indian Economy- A Financial Social Accounting Matrix Approach. This paper has been presented at the 24th International Input-Output Conference & 6th Edition of the International School of I-O Analysis, 4-8 July 2016, Korea, Seoul.
- Productivity and R&D content of intermediate Inputs- Evidence from Indian industries. This paper has been presented at the Eighth Micro Evidence on Innovation and Development (MIEDE) Conference, organized by CII, World Bank, OECD and UNU Merit, New Delhi, India during 10-12 February, 2015.
- Productivity growth from technology transfer in Indian manufacturing – A major Research Project awarded by Indian Council for Social Science Research (ICSSR), (March 2020- March 2022).
- Impact assessment of Swachh Bharat Mission (U) – A study in collaboration with IPSOS, Gurgaon for Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi, (July 2019 – October 2019)
- Impact Assessment for Libya-EU Free Trade Agreement – A study funded by Libyan Embassy, New Delhi (January 2017-July 2017).
- Impact of India-ASEAN Free Trade Agreement: A Cross-Country Analysis Through Applied General Equilibrium Modelling, Asia- Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT) Short Term Study (May 2010 – October 2010).
- A web portal on Indian Standards and Technical Regulations - A study sponsored by the Ministry of Commerce, Government of India (to be completed by July 2010).
Contribution to Community
Service to School
- Associate Dean (Programs and Student Learning Experience) – June 2020 onwards
- Area Chairperson (Economics) - May 2017 to June 2020
- Faculty-in charge for International Collaborations– January 2013 to April 2017
- Managing editor- NMIMS Journal of Economics and Public Policy
Service to Community
- Serving as Referee to journals Member of Board of Studies, Department of Business Economics, Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics Serving as Referee for GTAP Annual Conference, Purdue University, USA. Member of the Economics Committee at Bombay Chamber of Commerce & Industries
- Best Management Faculty (Runner Up) at 40th BMA Academic Awards, April, 2019.
- Teaching excellence of the year Award at NMIMS School of Business Management in 2017-18.
- 24th Business School Affaire & Dewang Mehta National Education Awards in 2016.
- Best Faculty of the year Award at NMIMS School of Business Management in 2015-16.
- Teaching excellence of the year Award at NMIMS School of Business Management in 2013-14.
Media and Coverage
- India’s 39-month high inflation rate: What does this mean for our economy? The Indian Economist [Online]. Available at http://qrius.com
- Rising Labour Productivity in India: Can this help the manufacturing sector finally reach its potential? [Online]. Available at http://qrius.com