Academic and professional qualifications:
Ph. D., Humanities and Social Sciences Dept., IIT Bombay, 2013
Dissertation: The Nature of Contemporary Inspirational Literature with special reference to the
works of Richard Bach and Paulo Coelho”
M. Phil, University of Mumbai, 1996
Major: English Literature
M. A, University of Mumbai, 1988
Major: English Literature
B. A, University of Mumbai, 1986
Major: English Literature
25 years in Sardar Patel Institute of Technology (1991 to 2016)
4 years in School of Business Management, NMIMS (2016 to date)
- Managerial Communication I (MBA Core)
- Managerial Communication II (MBA Core)
- Written Analysis and Communication (MBA Core)
- Business Communication and Analysis (MBA Core)
- Negotiation: Skills and Processes (MBA Core and HR)
- Negotiation Skills (DSA batch)
- Oral Communication (MBA HR)
- Written Communication (MBA HR)
- Advanced Negotiation Skills (Elective: MBA Core)
- Communication and Leadership through Literature (Elective: MBA Core)
- Listening to the Customer (Executive MBA Pharma)
Expertise and Research Interest
Exploring literary classics to teach concepts of leadership and Communication to B-School students, doctor-patient communication during bad-news delivery
Conferences attended as presenter and Workshops conducted
(last five/six years)
|Date and Venue||Name of conference||Organizing body||Title of paper|
|17th November 2013, Phuket, Thailand||Gokhale, M., International Conference on Languages||Icsai. org||Rhetoric as a bridge to transcendence: The Use of Analogy and Metaphors in Inspirational Literature with special reference to the works of Richard Bach|
|24th July 2012 Singapore||Gokhale, M., 2012 International Conference on Society, Humanity and History||Icsai. org||Simplification in Contemporary Self-help literature|
|20th October 2011 Pennsylvania||Gokhale, M., 36th Annual Meeting of the Society for Utopian Studies in State College||Icsai. org||A dream, a road and a pilgrim: Locating Utopian Mentalities in Paulo Coelho’s works|
|13th November 2010 Prague, Czech Republic||Gokhale, M., Malshe, M., 1st Global Conference on "Making Sense of Suffering”||Icsai. org||From Suffering to Hope and Faith: The Pragmatic Value of Inspirational Literature|
|13th-15th April 2018 Malaysia||10th International Conference on Language, Education and Innovation||Icsai. org||Teaching Communication Skills through Literary Classics: A Pedagogical Experiment in Management Education|
|May 29th -30th August 2019, Vietnam||15th International Conference on Language, Innovation, Culture & Education 2019 (as a Keynote Speaker)||Icsai.org||The Classics in the VUCA World Classroom: Lessons in Leadership through Literature|
|April 27, 2018 Hyderabad||36th Induction Program for IPS officers||National Police Academy||Conducted Workshop on “Communication and Policing”|
|1st February 2019 Juhu Jagriti Hall, Mithibai College||Two-day workshop titled “Sankhyiki”||Department of Statistics, Sunandan Divatia School of Science||Delivered a talk on “Team Liaison and Cooperation”|
|16th February 2019||Pharmacy Council of India sponsored Continuing Education Program||Shobhaben Pratapbhai Patel School of Pharmacy||Delivered a talk on Futuristic Trends in Teaching, Pedagogy and Research|
|23rd February 2019||Mithibai Faculty Development Program||School of Business Management||Conducted a workshop on Communication Skills|
Conferences and workshops attended
- Attended a three-day Faculty Development Program on “Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis” at NMIMS, Mumbai from 19th to 21st March 2018 by Campbell Collaboration.
- Participated in a Webinar on “Resolving Conflict! How to Negotiate the Non-negotiable” conducted by the National Institute of Business Management in collaboration with the Harvard Negotiation Project on 28th March 2018.
- Attended a workshop on NVivo at the International Institute of Population Sciences on 3rd October 2019.
|Title of the programme||Nature of programme: Institute / Self||Type of programme: Institutional / Retail||Name of the client||No. of participants||Level Officer/ Junior Management / Middle Management / Senior Management||Duration||-|
|Effective Communication||Institutional||Institutional||Jackson Credit Cooperative Society||20||Senior Management||3 hours||-|
|Edelweiss Young Leaders Program||Institute||Institutional||Edelweiss||19||Junior and Middle Management||3 hours||12,500/-|
|Spykar Training program||Institute||Institutional||Spykar||20||Middle and top management||3 hourd||-|
Ongoing Research Project:Bad-news delivery by medical practitioners: Strategic and Communicative Aspects in the Indian context in partnership with Professor Santana Pathak
Contribution to Community
- I am presently serving on the boards of studies of Mithibai College (Business Communication) and NM college (Business Communication and Literature) as their subject expert.
- During tenure as Area Chairperson, won the Best Department Award in 2019
- Winner of the “Tejaswini” award in a “Pleasing Personality” contest organized by the Inner Wheel Club of Parleshwar (2014)
Refereed Journal Articles
- Madhavi Gokhale, Milind Malshe, (2010), "What is "literariness”? A Conceptual Mapping”, Critical Enquiry, Volume II, Issue IV, October-December 2010, ISSN 0975-0096, pp. 100-113.
- Madhavi Gokhale and Milind Malshe, (2011), "From Suffering to Hope and Faith: The Pragmatic Value of Inspirational Literature”, presented at the 1st Global Conference on "Making Sense of Suffering” at Prague, Czech Republic (November 11-13, 2011) and published in the journal Making Sense of Suffering: Theory, Practice and Representation, Vol. 154, ISBN-978-1-84888-060-3, pp. 121-135.
- Madhavi Gokhale, (2012), "Simplification in Contemporary Self-help literature”, presented at the International Conference on Society, Humanity and History (ICSHH), at Singapore, July 23-24, 2012 and published as an extended paper titled "Implications of Simplification in Contemporary Self-help literature” in the International Journal of Social Sciences & Humanity (IJSHH) Volume 2, No. 5, ISSN 2010-3646, pp. 392-396.