Dr. Shamim S. Mondal is an economist with more than a decade of experience teaching economics and statistics, conducting economic research and consulting (four years) with clients on topics of applied microeconomics, finance, industrial organization, healthcare and labor markets. He has taught MBA, Executive MBA and Ph.D scholars subjects in economics, statistics, mathematical economics and research methods, and also consulted clients including companies in Fortune 500 list.
- Ph. D. (Economics), University of Rochester, 2007
- MA (Economics), University of Rochester, 2002
- MA (Economics), School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 1999
- B. Sc. (Hons.) (Economics), University of Calcutta, 1997 Professional Experience:
- School of Business Management, SVKM’s NMIMS (Deemed to be University), Mumbai, India, March 2017 – present
- Associate Dean – Research and Ph. D. – July 2020 - present
- Program Chair – Ph. D., Research and Publications, June 2017 – June 2020.
- Professor of Economics,< March 2017 – present
- Alliance University, School of Business, Bangalore, India
- Program Director, Doctoral Program in Management, June 2016 – Mar 2017.
- Chair, AACSB Accreditation, June 2015 – May 2016.
- Deputy Program Director, Doctoral Program in Management, June 2014 – May 2015.
- Associate Professor of General Management, February 2011 – Mar 2017
- Associate Consultant, August 2006 – October 2010, Analysis Group, Inc., Boston, USA.
- University of Rochester, USA
- Instructor, Spring 2004, Money, Credit and Banking, Undergraduate course.
- Ph. D.: Courses on Quantitative and Computational Methods, Advanced Statistics, Business Research Methods and Research Design, Corporate Governance and Applied Economics. Students pursuing Doctoral studies in Management are accomplished professionals and hold senior management positions including CEOs.
- Executive MBA: Course on Research Methodology and Economics. Students are mid-level executives with significant experiences in the corporate sector.
- MBA: Courses on Business Statistics, Research Methodology, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Security Analysis and Portfolio Management and Industrial Organization.
- BBA (Bachelors):Courses on Business Mathematics, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics.
Expertise and Research Interest
Research interests: Labour economics, financial markets, corporate governance, antitrust, macroeconomics, health economics, social network and social capital
No. of citations – Google scholar 29
ORCID id: 0000-0003-4025-0445
(last five/six years)
- “Competition and Intellectual Property Policies in the Indian Pharmaceutical Sector,” (with Viswanath Pingali), Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, 2017, 42(2), pp. 61 – 79.
- “The Economics of Antitrust,” (with Viswanath Pingali), Vikalpa, 2016.
- “Rights Issues and Creeping Acquisitions in India,” (with Gaurav Jetley), Emerging Markets Review, 2015. (ABDC A)
- “Measuring the Efficiency of Marketing Efforts in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry using Data Envelopment Analysis,” (with Mihir Dash, Arunavas Bose, Samik Shome, Madhumita Guha Majumder, Dennis Rajakumar, Ramana Shetty and Debashis Sengupta), International Journal of Business Analytics and Intelligence, 2015.
- Book Review of “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman (refereed), Arthabisleshon: A Biannual Journal of Economics in Bengali, 2014, pp. 111 – 113.
Conferences and Workshops
(last five/six years)
- “Wage Difference by Caste and Religion in India,”
- National Conference on Caste, Religion, and Labour Market in India: Linkages of Employment, Wage Discrimination and Poverty, November 26-27, 2018, New Delhi, organized by Indian Institute of Dalit Studies and Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, South Asia.
- National Seminar on the results of NSS 67th and 68th round, July 2 – 3, 2015, organized by Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation, Govt. of India, Banaras Hindu University
- “Cost of Investing in Equity Mutual Funds in India,”
- World Finance Conference, Mauritius, July 24 – 27, 2018
- “Social capital and consumer information search: An emerging market perspective,”
- 3rd International Conference on Marketing, Strategy and Policy, Newcastle University London, April 10 – 11, 2018.
- Invited Session Chair, Mini Conference on Network and Games, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, July 3 – 4, 2017.
- “Competition law and the Pharmaceutical sector in India,”
- National Workshop on Public Economics: Theory and Policy, IIT Guwahati, Jan 2016.
Research under progress/other unpublished work:
- “Policy Uncertainty and Firm Response: Do foreign firms react differently to domestic firms?” (with A. Karna and V. Pingali), working paper
- “The Impact of Transactive Memory Systems and Organizational Climate on Knowledge Sharing, Process Agility and Team Performance: A Study of Agile Software Development Teams,” (with B. Arunkumar, Dolphy M. Abraham and Madhumita Guha Majumder), working paper
- Social Capital and Consumer Information Search in Emerging Markets: Evidence from India,” (with G. C. Madhu), working paper
- “Open Offers in India” (with Gaurav Jetley), in progress.
- “A longitudinal study on time use by urban Indian families during Covid19 pandemic” (with Prithviraj Guha, Rajendra P. Kundu and Subhro Sarkar), in progress.
- “A study on measuring Online Course Quality” (with Shrikant Mulik, Brinda Sampat and Dolphy M. Abraham), in progress.
- “Wage Differences by Caste and Religion in India,” SSRN Working Paper.
- “Cost of Investing in Equity Mutual Funds in India,” Working Paper.
- “A Study of Purchase Behavior of Insurance Schemes in East India,” (with Subhajit Majumder), Working Paper.
- “Employer Discrimination and Racial Differences in Wages and Turnover,” Working Paper.
Consulting (at Analysis Group, Inc.)
- Worked on areas of antitrust litigation consulting, class action lawsuits, healthcare economics and outcomes research. Clients included Ameriprise and Franklin Templeton, MasterCard Inc., Intel, Eli Lilly, among others.
- Training sessions for L&T managers and supervisors on economics, 2019 – 20.
- Online teaching material development for Upgrad, 2020.
Contribution to Community
- Member of Dissertation Committee of
- Ms. Vishnupriya Raghavan (defended 2015), Mr. Arun Kumar Balasubramanian (defended 2016), Co-supervisor for Mr. Rahul Gupta Choudhury (defended 2016), Mr. Santhosh Kumar (defended 2018) and Mr. Madhu GC (Primary Guide, defended 2018) at Alliance University School of Business.
- Primary Guide for doctoral candidates Mr. Shivam Saxena and Ms. Ema Garg at NMIMS.
- Co-Chair at the Inaugural AIM-AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium in Marketing at Alliance University Bangalore.
- Chair of the Organizing Committees for:
- Inaugural AIM-AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium on Marketing, July 27-29, 2012, Bangalore, India
- AIM International Conference on Innovation in Marketing for Emerging Markets, July 29-30, 2012, Bangalore, India
- Referee for Oxford University Press, and the journals “Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies,” “ICFAI Journal of Applied Finance,” “Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers” and “Asian Journal of Comparative Politics”
- Served in “Alliance School of Business Examinations and Evaluations Committee” and “Equivalence Committee, Alliance University.”
- Served in Board of Management at Alliance University, 2016.
- Served in Academic Council Meetings, NMIMS (Deemed to be University), 2017.
- Member, American Economic Association, 2008 – present.
- Graduate Fellowship, University of Rochester, 2000-2002, 2004.
- W. Allen Wallis Fellowship in Political Economy, University of Rochester, 2003-2004.
- Norman M. Kaplan Memorial Award for best GPA, University of Rochester, 2002.
- Highest CGPA for graduating MA in Economics class, CSDILE, School of International Studies, JNU, 1999
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), Economic Research Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, India, 1999-2000
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), National Eligibility Test (NET), University Grants Commission, India, Dec. 1998 (declined).
- Ford Foundation Fellowship, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 1998-1999.
Media and Coverage
- “How to be a Mindtree Reader” (with Gaurav Jetley), Economic Times, ET Commentary, April 23, 2019.