Dr. Subhadip Mukherjee
Assistant Professor & Area Chairperson (Economics)
Academic and Professional Qualification
Teaching Experience: 5.3 Years
Service to the University: Assistant Professor (Economics), School of Business Management, NMIMS Mumbai, June 2018- Present.
Service to the School:Assistant Professor & Area Chairperson (Economics), School of Business Management, NMIMS Mumbai, July 2020- Present.
- Assistant Professor and Area Chairperson (Economics), School of Business Management, NMIMS Mumbai, July 2020- Present.
- Assistant Professor (Economics), School of Business Management, NMIMS Mumbai, June 2018- Present.
- Assistant Professor (Economics), IBS Hyderabad, May 2015-May 2018.
- Fellow Programme in Management (PhD)-Economics and Social Science Area, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB), 2015.
- M.Phil in Economics, ICFAI University, 2010.
- Masters in Economics, Visva-Bharati University, 2008.
- B.A (Honours) in Economics, Visva-Bharati University, 2006.
Professional Editorial boards
- Referee of a Journal Titled “European Journal of Finance” (ABDC-A).
- Referee of a Journal Titled “Economic Modelling” (ABDC-A).
- Referee of a Journal Titled “Journal of International Trade & Economic Development” (ABDC-B)
- Referee of a Journal Titled “Singapore Economic Review” (ABDC-B).
Advanced Statistical Methods for Management Research (Research Methodology) for PhD, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Indian Economy, Labour Economics, Industrial Organization, Capstone Simulation for MBA
Teaching and pedagogical Innovations: I use a blend of case study, power point presentation, videos, discussions and debate mode of teaching Pedagogy, in which I usually bring all current affairs from various newspaper reports in the class room.
- Mukherjee. Subhadip (with co-authors) “Spot Exchange Rate Volatility, Uncertain Policies and Export Investment Decision of Firms: A Mean-Variance Decision Approach” (‘Revised Manuscript Submitted’ in European Journal of Finance, Ranking: ABDC-A, ABS-3* (Impact Factor: 1.217)
- Mukherjee. Subhadip and Chanda. Rupa “Trade Liberalization and Indian Manufacturing MSMEs: Role of Firm Characteristics and Channel of Liberalization” (European Journal of Development Research, 2019, Ranking: ABDC-B (Impact Factor: 1.931))
- Mukherjee. Subhadip and Chanda. Rupa, “Differential Effects of Trade Openness on Indian Manufacturing Firms” (Economic Modelling, Volume 61, February 2017, Pages 273–292 (Journal Ranking: ABDC-A (Impact Factor: 1.930))
- Mukherjee, S. and Chanda, R., 2020. Trade Liberalization and MSME Framework: Impact on Firm Productivity and Markups. IIM Bangalore Research Paper, (609).
- Mukherjee, S., Mukherjee, S. and Mishra, T., 2020. Export under Background Risk: A Mean-Variance Decision Analysis for Indian Manufacturing Firms. Research Paper Series-2020/19 (GEP) University of Nottingham, UK, Globalisation, Productivity and Technology Programme. Available at SSRN 3607149.
- Mukherjee, S., Mukherjee, S., Mishra, T. and Broll, U., 2019. Export Investment Under Uncertainty: A Meanvariance Decision Analysis for Indian Manufacturing Exporters. Research Paper Series- 2019/18 (GEP) University of Nottingham, UK, Globalisation, Productivity and Technology Programme. Available at SSRN 3504082.
- An edited volume (with other co-editors) titled “Current Issues in Economics and Finance” by Springer Singapore, 2017 (ISBN: 978-981-10-5809-7)
- Mukherjee. Subhadip and Chanda. Rupa, “Impact of Trade Liberalization on Indian Textile Firms: A Panel Analysis,” in “Malabika Roy and Saikat Sinha Roy (eds.), “International Trade and International Finance: Explorations of Contemporary Issues,” Springer India, May, 2016. (ISBN 978-81-322-2795-3).
Conferences and Workshops
- Paper titled "Impact of Trade Openness on the Performance of Indian Food Processing Firms: A Firm-level Panel Analysis" presented at 54th TIES Conference, 2018 (March 7-9, 2018).
- Paper titled, “Impact of Trade Liberalization on the Performance of Indian Manufacturing MSMEs: A Cross Census Analysis”, presented at 12th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development, ISI Delhi (December 19-21, 2016).
- Convener of 5th International Conference on Applied Econometrics (ICAE-V)”, held during July 22-23, 2016 at IBS, Hyderabad.
- Paper titled, “FDI Liberalization and Regional Convergence in Post Reform India: A State Level Panel Analysis”, presented at the 10th Winter School, organized by the Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, December 14-15, 2015.
- Paper titled, “Various Investment Announcements and Regional Convergence in Post Reform India: A State Level Panel Analysis”, presented at the 52nd Annual Conference of The Indian Econometric Society (TIES) organized by IIM Kozhikode, January 4-6, 2016.
- Paper titled, “The Impact of Trade Liberalization of SMEs versus Large Firms”, presented at the 10th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development held at ISI Delhi, December 18-20, 2014.
- Paper titled, “The Impact of Exim Policy, 2004-09 on Indian Manufacturing Firms: A Difference-in-Differences (DID) Approach”, presented at the Fourth IIFT Conference on Empirical Issues in International Trade and Finance organized by the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi, December 18-19, 2014.
- “Bilateral Trade in Services between India and UK, funded by British High Commission.
- “The impact of The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) on India’s Trade in Services, funded by Ministry of Commerce, Government of India.
Ph.D. Topic: Impact of Trade Liberalization on the Performance of Indian Manufacturing MSMEs.
Research Interest I am presently working on areas such as Linkages between Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (both manufacturing and retail industries) and trade reforms, formal vs informal credit markets, and the applications of various empirical techniques such as Difference-in-difference, Propensity Score Matching, Heckman’s 2 step procedure of estimation (Inverse mills ratio), Dynamic Panel technique using system GMM, various modern productivity estimation procedures such as Levinson and Petrin, Olley and Pakes, Ackerberg, Caves, and Frazer, DEA analysis etc., and also the application of various Bayesian Non-Cooperative Game theoretic models in these aforementioned areas. My broad areas of research interest include firm and industry level analysis on Micro, Small & Medium Size Enterprises, retail industry, macro-economic issues pertaining to productivity, employment and growth, trade reforms in various regimes.
Contribution to Community
- Service to the University: Assistant Professor (Economics), School of Business Management, NMIMS Mumbai, June 2018- Present.
- Service to the School: Assistant Professor & Area Chairperson (Economics), School of Business Management, NMIMS Mumbai, July 2020- Present
- PhD Admission and Comprehensive and Viva Exam Committee (Research Methodology and Economics).
- Admission Process (Core-MBA and PT-MBA) (2 years).
- Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC) Member of 2 PhD Students.
- Guided 24 WeCare students in last 2 years
- Guided 3 MBA-Entrepreneurship students in their MBA Dissertation in last 2 years.
- Guided 3 MBA-HR students in their MBA Dissertation in last 2 years.
- Active Participatation in all Weekly Seminars, Pre-synopsis and synopsis presentations.
- Active Participation in all Faculty Council and other inter and intra-area meetings.
- Best Faculty of the Year (2018-19)- (Research Category), SBM Convocation Ceremony 2019 on 13th April, 2019 at NMIMS, University, Mumbai Campus.
- Certificate of Reviewing (Economic Modelling).
- Certificate of Honor from Department of Economics and Politics, Visva Bharati University Shantiniketan for obtaining highest marks in Econometrics
- University Merit Scholarship in M.A. (2006-2008)
- University Merit Scholarship in B.A. (Honours) (2003-2006)
- FPM Fellowship, Economics and Social Science Area, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, 2010-2015.
- M.Phil. Fellowship, Economics Area, ICFAI University, 2009-2010.
Media and Coverage
Rupa Chanda and Subhadip Mukherjee (Newspaper Article (Opinion)- Business Standard, May 18, 2020 00:39 IST, “Stimulus 1.0 & the MSME bonanza: Going ahead, the government could design specific schemes to help MSMEs modernize technology and obtain quality certification