Societies are searching for innovative and efficient ways to provide socially important goods in health, education, social services, environment and community development. With the emergence and growth of cross-sector partnerships, there is a growing realization that there is a way to combine the very best of the not-for-profit, philanthropic world with the very best of the for-profit, enterprising world. This hybrid is the wave of the future for both profit and nonprofit organizations. In the face of this new reality, an increasing number of forward-looking non-profits / NGOs are beginning to appreciate the increased revenue, focus and effectiveness that can come from adopting "for-profit" business approaches. Increasingly, they are reinventing themselves as social entrepreneurs, combining "the passion of a social mission with an image of business-like discipline, innovation, and determination.
In this context in 2007, NMIMS designed and launched a uniquely architectured One Year Diploma Programme in Social Entrepreneurship and a Three Year Part-Time MBA Programme in Social Entrepreneurship. However, due to consistent feedback from our Alumni as well as the market to concise the length of the course, NMIMS has reduced the duration of the part-time MBA programme to two years, without compromising on the academic rigour.
About the Jasani Center for Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Management
The Jasani Center for Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Management, NMIMS has been established with a deep respect for talent/passion and dedication of the countless individuals who have devoted their lives to the working for the common good. This work is difficult and involves unparalleled challenges. We believe that social sector leaders, business school faculty, MBA students and alumni can all benefit by joining in a systematic search for better ways to develop, sustain, and spread innovative and effective responses to social needs. Through thoughtful application of business expertise, we aim to foster entrepreneurial responses to social problems. The Center blends social concern with the professional response through an integrated approach that combines research and consultancy, teaching and field action. Its interventions include professional development of the social sector, capacity building for the resource-poor and entrepreneurship development. The comprehensive Disaster Management programme of the center specializes in providing capacity building programmes in the area of disaster preparedness and disaster mitigation for both for-profit and non-profit organisations. The Center has increasingly been involved in research and providing consultancy in areas of management of social enterprises, CSR, micro-enterprise management and conducting social audits.
Why Part Time MBA in Social Entrepreneurship ?
NMIMS is committed to nurturing the social entrepreneurs of tomorrow and strengthen the social entrepreneurs of today.
Part-Time MBA in Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Management is a comprehensive programme for development sector professionals who aspire to excel in an increasingly complex and competitive scenario. The programme endeavours to develop strategic orientation and motivation for success with a social conscience. The Part-Time MBA in Social Entrepreneurship prepares students for innovatively approaching public needs with a combination of entrepreneurial practices and social purposes through the for-profit, non-profit, and governmental sectors.
Programme Objectives of the Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Management Programmes -
- To focus on the execution of projects and develop the sustainability of development organisations through innovative management approach.
- To develop a holistic perspective on contemporary issues in the management of the social sector.
- To complement the operational skills of management with a strategic vision to develop social enterprises.
- To make the participants abreast of the latest professional trends in civil society interventions and organisation.
- To expose the participants to international benchmarks in stakeholder management in the social sector.
Social entrepreneurship is a calling, a driving vision that compels one to dedicate a life to a particular social outcome. The MBA in Social Entrepreneurship builds capacities and skillsets of students to set up as well as scale up the reach and impact of their for-profit/not-for-profit social enterprises.
Post MBA (SE) students also get opportunities to take on leadership roles within their existing organization, leading nonprofit organizations, for-profit social enterprises, government, or CSR departments. Many alumni have chosen to work as professionals within an organization that supports social entrepreneurs like incubation centers, venture capital funding organizations, not for profit funding agencies both at national and international levels and development consulting firms.
Suitability of the Program
The Part Time MBA programme in Social Entrepreneurship program is primarily aimed at offering entrepreneurial and leadership skills to individuals who wish to begin challenging journeys in social sectors and bring a change in the Indian economy. The program prepares the aspiring candidates to take a leap in their career and grow professionally. The program is designed for -
- Executives, Trustees and Board Members of Public and Charitable Trusts, Foundations, Co-operative societies and community based organisations seeking guidance to strengthen an already established organisation.
- Voluntary social service providers who wish to offer highly accessible and practical organization development programmes in their areas.
- Executives / Managers from Business Organisations working in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Officials in public services, health officers and community workers.
- Volunteers in the social sector who wish to professionalize their inputs.
- Social work professionals who wish to upgrade their knowledge.
- Graduates / Post Graduates from any discipline who are interested in the social sector.
The Part-Time MBA programme in Social Entrepreneurship will be for seven trimesters (Two Years). PTMBA (SE) – The programme will commence in June and the classes will be scheduled on Friday evening from 6.30 pm to 9.30 pm, Saturday from 2.00 pm to 8.30 pm and from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on Sundays.
Teaching Methodology will focus on the development of knowledge, skills and attitudes of the participants so that they can successfully manage the responsibility of the tasks, which they handle in the social sector. Emphasis will be laid on participatory learning. The courses take the form of lectures, discussions, case studies as well as academic analysis and framing of the issues. The theoretical and informational inputs will be imparted through classroom lectures. Group discussions will be held to facilitate the participants in exchanging their views, ideas and also their problems and prospects leading to mutual learning. The course includes a range of guest speakers from relevant organizations. Extensive use of case studies, simulations and discussions will be held to facilitate intellectual, networking, and professional development.
- Law and Social Work
- Social Development and Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship
- Micro Economics
- Individual Dynamics and Leadership
- Group and Organisational Dynamics
- Financial Accounting and Analysis
- Fund Raising Workshop
- Managing and Organizing the Social Enterprise
- Social Engineering and Project Management (I)
- Macro Economics
- Human Resource Management
- Micro-Finance (I)
- Social Impact Workshop
- Research Methodology
- Micro Finance (II)
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Marketing Management
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Legal Environment of Organization
- Financial Management
- Statistical Analysis
- Governance of Social Enterprises
- Management of Livelihood Support Programmes
- Ethical Issues in Management
- Strategic Management
- Performance Management of Social Enterprises
- Operations Management
- Seminar on Social Development
- Environment Management
- Information Systems for Management
- Training and Development
- Social Engineering and Project Management (II)
- Export Management
- Disaster Management Workshop
- Understanding Global Cultures and Management of International Social Development Projects
- Stakeholder Management and Social Audit
- Business Plan/Case Study
- Development Communication
- Management of Cross Sector Partnership
Value Added Workshop
Value Added Workshop
Value added workshop
- Graduation from a recognized University in any discipline.
- a) Minimum two years’ experience with the social sector organization (NGOs, Social Enterprises, Government Departments, CSR / Environment / Sustainability departments) either as full-time staff or as a volunteer.
- b) Minimum two years of full time corporate/administrative/business work experience
Number of Seats - 30
To apply for the program, online registration form has to be filled. Payment of registration fees of Rs.1000/- plus tax can be made by Credit card (Visa/Master). Scanned copies of the required documents have to be uploaded through the link given in the registration form before the final date of registration.
For further details read carefully Instruction Sheet and Important Dates documents available on this page.
Selection to the programme will be based on the selection test which will comprise of a) Essay Test and b) Personal Interview. The selection test will be held at the NMIMS Campus. The list of selected candidates will be displayed on the website and the institute notice board one week after the selection test.
Examination and Degree
Students in need for financial aid have to apply for interest-free loan scholarships from Rotary Club of Bombay West after confirmation of admission.
Students will be evaluated on the based on their presentations, written assignments and written examination scheduled at the end of each trimester.
Award of Degree
Degree will be awarded based on the attendance, participation, project work, presentations and examination for each course paper.
Candidates are requested to clearly indicate their preference of opting for the Diploma Programme in Social Entrepreneurship or Part-Time MBA programme in Social Entrepreneurship at the time of admission.