We Care : Civic Engagement Internship
Rising inequality has emerged as one of the most critical problems confronting businesses and societies worldwide. Increasingly businesses are required to balance economic competition and social cohesion. The School of Business Management (SBM), NMIMS, believes that it has distinctive responsibility to create transformational leaders to build an inclusive and sustainable world. Our mission is to inspire, train, and support the next generation of socially sensitive managers with the experiences necessary to develop their confidence, courage, and skills to create substantial positive social impact. We believe it is essential for students to embed a more robust and critical kind of scholarship to incorporate the sustainability dimension in their thought process. To further enhance sustainability perspective and inculcate values of inclusiveness, social innovation, collegiality, integrity, and excellence, SBM, since 2010, has incorporated a three-week 'We Care: Civic Engagement' internship in its full-time MBA curriculum. We believe if opportunities are provided to engage students to address the social agenda formally, they can become change-makers. We want our students to perceive SBM not only as a place to build their careers but also as a place to demonstrate the power of education and its locus in creating shared value.
1) To foster analytical skills among students to analyze the root causes, existing solutions, and cascading impacts of social issues on society and business.
2) To develop skills to apply management logic and technical and critical thinking in proposing innovative solutions to address social issues.
3) To create abilities to be socially sensitive and inclusive.
Students are placed at the pan India level in various NGOs, NPOs, Social Enterprises, government organizations, and CSR departments for three weeks in the third trimester under the mentorship of faculty mentors. During the internship, students are required to devote 7-8 hours per day to fieldwork and work on education-related projects, gender discrimination, energy conservation, poverty, skill development, financial inclusion, and so on. These projects are aligned to multiple Sustainable Development Goals. To facilitate internship placement, we partner with over 500 NGOs/ Social Enterprises across various geographies in India and 50 corporations. International students are placed in their cities of origin.
Post internship, students are assessed by faculty mentors with the help of a Rubric. To celebrate the learning journey and facilitate peer-to-peer learning We Care poster presentation event is organized. To augment experiential learning, students are encouraged to participate in competitions like 'We Care Documentary,' 'We Care Photo story,' and we Innovate Challenge.' The We Care Anthology comprises articles penned by the students. These articles lay the groundwork for having engaging class discussions and explore possible alternatives to accelerate social development.
WE CARE-CIVIC ENGAGEMENT INTERNSHIP
- We Care Internship Report 2021-22
- We Care Internship Report 2020-21
- We Care Internship Report 2019-20
- We Care Internship Report 2018-19
- We Care Internship Report 2017-18
- We Care Annual Report 2016-17
- We Care Report 2015-16
- We Care Report 2014-15
- We Care Report 2013-14
- We Care Reprot 2012-13
- We Care Report 2011-12
WE CARE-CIVIC ENGAGEMENT ANTHOLOGY SERIES
- Punashcha: Build Back Better World - Volume IX
- Samvit: Lessons from the Field – Volume VIII
- Vanchit: Strategies to Empower the Marginalized - Volume VII
- Transforming Health Care in India – Volume VI
- Skilling & Entrepreneurship for Livelihood-Volume V
- Addressing the Gender Gap -Volume IV
- Business that Cares-Volume III
- Brand India's GenNext Volume II
- Unfinished Agenda - Volume I